Pacific Community Ventures Impact Investing Research and Consulting
Position type: Full-time; Oakland, CA
Reports to: Managing Director, Impact Investing Research and Consulting
We are seeking an Associate Director to join Pacific Community Ventures’ Impact Investing Research and Consulting team. Over the past decade, our research projects and client engagements have helped define and build the field of impact investing. Our clients include leading foundations, pension funds, community development finance institutions (CDFIs), fund managers, and policymakers doing groundbreaking work in impact investing. Our projects span a variety of fields including job quality, economic development, financial inclusion, healthy food access, affordable housing, and environmental finance. Many of our research projects are conducted in partnership with other leaders in the field, including the Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN), Impact Management Project (IMP), and the Aspen Institute.
Who We Are
Pacific Community Ventures envisions a world of thriving communities where everyone has a fair shake. Our mission is to invest in small businesses, create good jobs for working people, and make markets work for social good. We achieve our mission through a combination of fair lending, free mentorship, skilled volunteerism, impact investing consulting services, and field-building research.
Our impact investing research and consulting practice helps clients effectively deploy capital and manage investments in alignment with their financial and impact objectives. PCV’s Impact Investing Research and Consulting team works with impact investors to build their capacity to achieve their desired financial returns and social impact through impact strategy development, impact measurement, management, evaluation, training and research. Our work has influenced capital markets for decades and our clients have strengthened local economies, created tens of thousands of good jobs, and driven private and public investments in underserved communities.
Why You’re Needed
You will play a meaningful role in the growth of PCV by leading consulting and research projects as well as managing and mentoring junior staff. You’ll bring strong managerial, analytical, writing, research, and communication skills, as well as a passion for impact investing. You should welcome the opportunity and challenge to contribute in strategy setting and business development.
- Supervise junior team members to deliver high-quality work within budget, develop staffs’ skills, and strengthen the team’s commitment to PCV’s mission
- Own staffing and overall distribution of team capacity across projects
- Oversee impact data collection and analysis
- Collaborate with team members to identify the appropriate structure for client deliverables, and provide timely feedback on those deliverables
- Lead internal initiatives to enable the team to continue to scale efficiently
- Manage the professional development review process, regularly meeting with and mentoring analysts
- Lead the development of high-quality, timely research projects that help scale and improve the efficacy of the impact investing field
- Conduct research through literature reviews and interviews with experts, academics, investors, and policymakers
- Support the development of publicly available reports and guides
- Communicate and strengthen the research and consulting team’s value proposition by presenting at conferences and writing for industry publications (e.g. Impact Alpha, Stanford Social Innovation Review)
- Share and apply lessons learned from research and consulting projects to strengthen PCV’s capacity to support businesses creating quality jobs for underserved populations
- Grow industry and sector knowledge by attending industry events and developing strong working relationships with clients and leaders in the impact investing industry
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
We aim to be a diverse and inclusive place to work. We value new perspectives, original ideas and different ways of working. You will bring a strong background of successfully leading dynamic teams and projects, as well as excellent analytical and communications skills that you are eager to apply to complex social problems. You should demonstrate a deep commitment to creating social and environmental benefit through impact investing. You should be enthusiastic, flexible, and excited to join a small and passionate team working on a myriad of projects across the impact investing industry.
- At least seven years of experience in analytical or research roles with prior consulting, investing, measurement, or evaluation experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to successfully supervise and empower teams
- Strong project management skills and ability to effectively prioritize work across multiple projects
- Proven excellence in quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Outstanding written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Flexibility and comfort with ambiguity
- Experience with sustainability and environmental, social, governance (ESG) data is a plus
- Strong networks within finance, philanthropy, or the impact investing industry are a plus
This position will be based at our headquarters in Oakland. The role may involve occasional travel to other locations in California and around the United States.
As an organization committed to creating good jobs, we walk the talk. We provide excellent benefits for full-time employees, including full health, dental and vision insurance, retirement savings accounts with a generous match which is fully vested immediately, and ample paid time off and holidays.
Interested candidates should send a résumé and cover letter via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Impact Investing Research and Consulting Associate Director Application” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Apply now.
PCV is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. We are especially interested in candidates who have direct experience with the communities we serve.