Pacific Community Ventures Small Business Lending
Position type: Full-time; Oakland, CA
Reports to: Managing Director, Small Business Services
Are you a driven individual who is passionate about building a more equitable society? If so, please consider joining Pacific Community Ventures as our Credit Analyst. As a mission-driven lender, we have invested small businesses across the state of California to help them strengthen and grow their practices. You’ll work with our team to underwrite and monitor the organization’s growing portfolio of loans for California small businesses.
Who We Are
Pacific Community Ventures envisions a world of thriving communities where everyone has a fair shake. Our mission is to invest in small businesses, create good jobs for working people, and make markets work for social good. We achieve our mission through a combination of fair lending, free mentorship, skilled volunteerism, impact investing consulting services, and field-building research.
Why You’re Needed
We’re a dynamic nonprofit organization with a growing Loan Fund that supports more and more small businesses with loans and pro bono mentoring, creating good jobs in low income communities. With our expansion, we are adding loan support software and streamlining our processes and procedures to reach entrepreneurs more efficiently. You will be a dedicated teammate with strong analytical, writing, and interpersonal skills who is passionate about investing in underserved communities.
This position will work very closely with the Managing Director, Small Business Services and the Associate Director of Lending. This is a wonderful opportunity for a quick learner who wants to gain experience in the fields of small business lending and community development.
Among other things, you will:
- Be the primary source of contact for all potential borrowers
- Collect due diligence items from potential borrowers, run credit checks, and assist with ratio and financial analysis in the underwriting process
- Discuss the viability of credit packages with lending team and make recommendations
- Participate with borrower compliance with financial, reporting, and advising covenants, monitor borrower financial performance, and provide analysis to the Managing Director and Associate Director to inform risk ratings
- Actively update all applications in the lending software
- Maintain electronic and hard copy files in audit-ready condition for all borrowers
- Help maintain reporting, risk rating analysis and other portfolio records as needed
- Grow industry and sector knowledge by attending events and developing strong working relationships with clients and partners
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
We aim to be a diverse and inclusive place to work. We value new perspectives, original ideas and different ways of working. We believe that diverse views and experiences improve the way we do our work.
- Bachelor’s degree or demonstrated work experience, with an interest in finance and/or community development
- Familiar with QuickBooks, Salesforce, MS Office Suite, with a strong aptitude for learning new computer programs quickly
- Self-starter willing to take initiative, but also works well in a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong ability to multi-task
- Must have excellent work habits, support the mission of PCV and maintain a sense of humor
- Spanish speaker strongly preferred
This position will be based at our headquarters in Oakland. The role may involve occasional travel to other locations in the Bay Area.
As an organization committed to creating good jobs, we walk the talk. We provide excellent benefits for full-time employees, including full health, dental and vision insurance, retirement savings accounts with a generous match which is fully vested immediately, and ample paid time off and holidays.
PCV is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. We are especially interested in candidates who have direct experience with the communities we serve.