Credit Analyst, Small Business Lending
Position type: Full-time; Oakland, CA
Reports to: Managing Director, Small Business Services
Are you a driven individual who is passionate about building a more equitable society? If so, please consider joining Pacific Community Ventures as our Credit Analyst. As a mission-driven lender, we invest in diverse small businesses across the state of California to help them grow and strengthen their practices. You’ll work with our team to underwrite and monitor the organization’s growing portfolio of loans for California small businesses, focused on expanding access to capital and advising for Black and Brown entrepreneurs.
Who We Are
Pacific Community Ventures (PCV), a 20-year-old nonprofit CDFI, engages small businesses, impact investors, and policymakers to build an economy that works for everyone. Our approach is unique. PCV’s Lending and Small Business Advising teams connect entrepreneurs to the expertise and affordable capital they need to grow their businesses to help local economies thrive. We do this with a focus on helping them create good jobs, that address racial and gender wealth gaps, and contribute to community wealth-building. PCV’s Impact Investing Research and Consulting team executes client and research projects that empower investors and policymakers to more effectively deploy capital to underserved communities in ways that positively impact our society and environment. Our approach benefits local economies while contributing to scalable and systemic change, reflecting our “think globally, act locally” philosophy.
Why You’re Needed
We’re a dynamic nonprofit organization with a growing Loan Fund that supports more and more small businesses with loans and pro bono mentoring, creating good jobs in low-and-moderate income communities. With our expansion, we are adding loan support software and streamlining our processes and procedures to reach entrepreneurs more efficiently. You will be a dedicated teammate with strong analytical, writing, and interpersonal skills who is passionate about investing in underserved communities.
This position will report to the Managing Director, Small Business Services, work closely with the Director of Lending, and Credit Officer. This is a wonderful opportunity for a quick learner who wants to gain experience in the fields of small business lending and community development.
Among other things, you will:
- Be the primary source of contact for all potential borrowers and referring partner organizations.
- Collect due diligence items from potential borrowers, run credit checks, and assist with ratio and financial analysis in the underwriting process
- Discuss the viability of credit packages with lending team and make recommendations
- Participate with borrower compliance with financial, reporting, and advising covenants, monitor borrower financial performance, and provide analysis to the Managing Director and Director to inform risk ratings
- Actively update all applications in the lending software
- Maintain electronic and hard copy files in audit-ready condition for all borrowers
- Help maintain reporting, risk rating analysis and other portfolio records as needed
- Grow industry and sector knowledge by attending events and developing strong working relationships with clients and partners
Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree with an interest in finance/community development
- Familiar with QuickBooks, Salesforce, MS Office Suite, with a strong aptitude for learning new computer programs quickly
- Self-starter willing to take initiative, but also works well in a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong ability to multi-task
- Embody PCV values of coming from a place of “Yes,” having empathy, being transparent, and maintain a sense of humor!
- Spanish speaker strongly preferred
As an organization committed to creating good jobs, we walk the talk. We provide excellent benefits for full-time employees, including full health, dental and vision insurance, retirement savings accounts with a generous match which is fully vested immediately, and ample paid time off and holidays as well as professional development opportunities.
During the current COVID-19 shelter-in-place order, this position will be 100% remote. Onsite work in Oakland, CA will resume according to Alameda County guidelines.
Interested candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States. To apply for this position, send a resume and cover letter to: HR@pcvmail.org. Please include the title of Credit Analyst in the subject of your email. This position will be open for applications through August 7, 2020.
PCV is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. We are especially interested in candidates who have direct experience with the communities we serve.