Director, Business Advising
Position Type: Full-Time
Reports to: Managing Director, Small Business Services
Are you passionate about advancing inclusive entrepreneurship, and using technology as a force for good? If so, please join Pacific Community Ventures, a mission-driven organization invested in building good jobs and community wealth through small business owners as changemakers in our local communities. We are seeking a Director-level position to lead our unique fast-growing Business Advising program, tech platform, and team. Over the past decade, our research projects and client engagements have helped define and build the field of impact investing; we have become a leading statewide community development financial institution (CDFI) in California; and scaled a nationwide mentorship platform for underestimated small business owners. Our clients include Black, Latinx, Indigenous, people of color, women, immigrant, refugee, and rural small business owners across America, volunteer business advisors; foundations and impact investors; other CDFIs; and policymakers.
Who We Are
PCV is a 22-year-old nonprofit CDFI that is invested in the success of historically excluded communities and small business owners to build and grow their businesses, create good quality jobs that address racial and gender wealth gaps, and build community wealth for shared prosperity. Our approach is unique. PCV’s Small Business Lending and Advising teams connect entrepreneurs to the pre- and post-investment expertise, and restorative capital they need to grow their businesses to help local economies thrive. Our impact investing research and consulting team supports our advancement of best practices for inclusive underwriting, annual impact analysis, that allows us to assess our impact with small business clients, and design increasingly effective products and services for the communities we serve.
Why You’re Needed
PCV’s BusinessAdvising.org is an award-winning national small business mentoring platform that connects underestimated entrepreneurs with pro-bono advisors. We prioritize entrepreneurs from, and working in, economically distressed communities, and pair them with volunteer business advisors from major banks, consulting firms, Fortune 500 companies, and more, who provide free, tailored, 1:1 coaching to help them meet their small business challenges and seize new opportunities. Over the past decade we’ve helped thousands of small businesses thrive, grow, and create tens of thousands of good local jobs.
BusinessAdvising.org is supported by revenue-generating partnerships with organizations like Kaiser Permanente, Workday, GoFundMe, and eBay, enabling us to reach more small business owners and advisors than we could ever do on our own. We reach entrepreneurs by partnering with the community organizations closest to them, such as small business accelerators, incubators, fellow CDFIs, and other entrepreneur support organizations across the country. We regularly invest in the two-sided mentorship platform we have built to ensure timely matchmaking, high feedback ratings, and improved user experience as we grow from serving over 1,000 small business owners in 2020 to meeting 10X that demand over the next few years. And we do this with a team of Customer Success Managers invested in the success of our small business owners.
PCV is looking for a mission- and data-driven technology-for-good professional to lead the team as we scale our program and reach. You will be equally invested in the success of small businesses and entrepreneurial ecosystems, with strong interpersonal skills to build and mentor a growing team within an innovative organization, and bringing your lived experience to advance our mission.
Cultivate and lead partnerships – fundraising and community, including:
- Growing and managing our Small Business Support Circle, a coalition of supporters and community partners invested in the success of small businesses
- Delivering partnership sales pitches and onboarding new partners, including fee-for-service, philanthropic, corporate, and those serving largely BIPOC and women entrepreneurial communities
- Managing partner relationships to ensure satisfaction, and increasing quality and impact
- Representing the organization and the Advising program externally
Manage the Business Advising team:
- Develop clear responsibilities for our growing business advising team, and mentor them in their career development
- Manage a hybrid remote and nationally distributed team of staff, relationship success managers, and contractors
- Create people strategy to efficiently serve small businesses and advisors as we scale
Oversee and continually improve our technology platform & model, including:
- Preparing the platform for scale from 1,000 small business owner mentorships now to 10X over the next few years
- Recruitment and delivery of model for both small business owners and volunteer advisors across the country – user experience, surveys, feedback ratings, impact tracking technology, methodology, and execution
- Testing new approaches to foster positive outcomes among small business owners, including ways a good jobs focus can drive better financial results for business owners
- Test and improve advisor cohorts, cultural competency, effectiveness with entrepreneurs, and more
- Exploring the development of our own platform in addition to improving currently our licensed platform with Torch; an Advising app; and improved Spanish and additional languages integration
- Financial modeling and projections
- Marketing strategies and metrics, in collaboration with Director of Marketing and Communications – including campaigns to attract and retain small businesses and volunteer advisors
Qualifications & Experience
We strive hard to be an inclusive and equitable place to work. We value new perspectives, original ideas, and different ways of working. You will bring a background of working with dynamic teams and projects, as well as excellent analytical and communications skills that you are eager to apply to complex social problems. You should demonstrate a deep commitment to creating social and environmental benefit, under-invested people and places. You should be enthusiastic, flexible, and excited to join a passionate team. We will invest in you as you invest in your team and our small business clients.
- 8+ years of work experience, including at least 2 years in a business development role
- Successful track record of client acquisition, retention, and growth in a B2B tech platform model
- Successful experience in project/program management in a growth/startup environment
- Experience in managing agreements with third-party partners and service providers
- Experience in managing project/program budgets
- Successful experience in managing teams. Experience managing staff members and volunteers preferred
- Proven track record and inclusive and equitable service delivery
- Proven networking and relationship-building skills
- Empathetic, collaborative, and values-driven people leader
- Strategic and data-driven decision-maker who embraces technology as a force for good
- Model PCV’s core values: Coming from a place of yes; Living our mission; Oriented towards transparency; Seeking collaboration; and Exhibiting empathy
- Fluency in Spanish is highly desired
- Experience in working with a startup/small business and/or in community economic development is a desired plus
Candidates can be located anywhere, but our main office is located in Oakland, CA. Occasional travel to Oakland will be required. During the remaining COVID-19 pandemic this role will be mostly remote, with occasional office check-ins to support team operations. The role may involve occasional travel to other locations in California and around the United States in the future.
As an organization committed to creating good jobs, we walk the walk. We provide excellent benefits for full-time employees, including full health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement savings accounts with a generous match which is fully vested immediately, ample paid time off and holidays, flexible hours and place, home system setup support, as well as substantive professional development opportunities.
Interested candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States. They should send a résumé and cover letter via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Director – Business Advising” in the subject line, by July 30th. Start at earliest convenience. No phone calls, please.
PCV is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. We live our values of openness, transparency, coming from a place of yes, collaboration, and more; and believe that justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental to our success. We are especially interested in candidates who have direct experience with the communities we serve.