Lending Portfolio Director
Position type: Full-time; Oakland, CA (remote during COVID-19)
Reports to: Managing Director
Are you a driven individual who is passionate about building a more equitable society? If so, please join Pacific Community Ventures, a mission-driven organization invested in addressing racial and gender wealth gaps, through small business owners as local changemakers in our communities. We are seeking a Director-level position to lead our Lending Portfolio and team. Over the past decade, our research projects and client engagements have helped define and build the field of impact investing; we have become a leading statewide community development financial institution (CDFI) in California; and scaled a nationwide mentorship platform for under-invested small business owners. Our audiences and clients include small business owners across America, volunteer business experts; leading foundations and impact investors; other CDFIs; and policymakers at the state and local level.
Who We Are
PCV is a 22-year-old nonprofit CDFI that engages small businesses, impact investors, and policymakers to build an economy that works for everyone. Our approach is unique. PCV’s Small Business Lending and Advising teams connect entrepreneurs to the pre- and post-investment expertise and restorative capital they need to grow their businesses to help local economies thrive. We do this with a focus on helping them create good jobs that address racial and gender wealth gaps, and build community wealth.
Why You’re Needed
We’re a dynamic nonprofit organization with a growing Loan Fund that supports more and more small businesses with loans and pro bono mentoring, creating good jobs in low-and-moderate income communities. With our expansion, we are adding loan products, blended capital with small grants, and streamlining our processes and procedures to reach entrepreneurs more efficiently. You will be a dedicated teammate with strong analytical, writing, and interpersonal skills who is passionate about investing in underserved communities, and bringing your lived experience to advance our mission.
This position will report to the Managing Director, Small Business Services. This is a wonderful opportunity for a quick learner who wants to gain leadership experience in the fields of small business lending and community development.
- Help lead a growing small business lending team, investor relations with varied impact-first investors and banks, advance social impact outcomes through improved restorative and blended capital approaches.
- Help build and promote a just and equitable organizational culture at all levels, and in our work.
- Improve impact due diligence best practices year over year; be the primary source of contact for all borrowers.
- Manage fintech platform, prepare it for scale with our lending portfolio; Maintain the loan servicing system and monitor PCV’s loan portfolio by conducting loan reviews and generating monthly and quarterly reports. Manage our fintech practices towards data collection, analysis and improved processes.
- Manage the loan closing process, documentation/review, and onboarding of new loans, and work closely with the Business Advising team to ensure smooth post-investment mentorship support, towards good jobs and wealth-building outcomes.
- Work closely with Finance team on Lending/Accounting integration and reporting.
- Represent PCV at industry and community events; and build trusted relationships with potential community partners and loan applicants.
- Prepare portfolio reports for Board meetings.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
We strive hard to be a diverse and inclusive place to work. We value new perspectives, original ideas, and different ways of working. You will bring a background of working with dynamic teams and projects, as well as excellent analytical and communications skills that you are eager to apply to complex social problems. You should demonstrate a deep commitment to creating social and environmental benefit, under-invested people and places. You should be enthusiastic, flexible, and excited to join a passionate team.
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience in either portfolio / asset management, loan servicing, compliance, or reporting (bonus if with another non-SBA small business lender).
- Familiar with LendingFront, QuickBooks, Salesforce, MS Office Suite, with a strong aptitude for learning new computer programs quickly
- Experience leading a team, mentoring and managing people, building a values-based culture
- Some proven experience with fundraising – investment capital or grants – to support a largely BIPOC and women-led small business community
- Flexibility and comfort with a mission-driven environment, and a small and growing organization
- Fast-learner, who demonstrates humility, openness, transparency, empathy, etc., as consistent with PCV values
This position will be based at our headquarters in Oakland long-term, due to the coordination aspects of this role. However, during the COVID-19 pandemic this role will be mostly remote, with occasional office check-ins to support team operations. The role may involve occasional travel to other locations in California and around the United States in the future.
As an organization committed to creating good jobs, we walk the talk. We provide excellent benefits for full-time employees, including full health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement savings accounts with a generous match which is fully vested immediately, ample paid time off and holidays, as well as meaningful professional development opportunities.
Interested candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States. They should send a résumé and cover letter via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Director – Lending Portfolio” in the subject line, by June 20th. Start at earliest convenience. No phone calls, please. Apply now.
PCV is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. We live our values of openness, transparency, coming from a place of yes, collaboration, and more; and believe that justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental to our success. We are especially interested in candidates who have direct experience with the communities we serve.