Intern, PCV Lab Summer
Position type: Part-Time (up to 30 hours) Internship
Reports to: Good Jobs Innovation Lab
Location: Remote (PCV has office space in Downtown Oakland, CA)
Time: Summer Intern (between June – September 2023)
Compensation: Paid internship, $18 per hour
Are you a driven individual who is passionate about building a more equitable society? If so, please intern with Pacific Community Ventures (PCV), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit impact investor and community development financial institution (CDFI). In 2022, our integrated “loan + advice” model deployed $9.9 million in loans and helped 2100+ BIPOC, women, and other underestimated small business owners create good jobs with dignity, address racial and gender wealth gaps, and build community wealth.
We are seeking a Summer Intern (June – September 2023) to work with our Good Jobs Lab team. Over the past decade, our research projects and client engagements have helped define and build the field of impact investing. In addition, we have become a leading statewide community development financial institution (CDFI) in California and scaled a nationwide mentorship platform for underinvested small business owners.
We are open to a remote intern but would appreciate general availability during PST working hours to attend team meetings.
PCV is a 25-year-old nonprofit CDFI that is invested in the success of historically excluded communities and small business owners to build and grow their businesses, create good quality jobs that address racial and gender wealth gaps, and build community wealth for shared prosperity. Our approach is unique. PCV’s Small Business Lending and Advising teams connect entrepreneurs to the pre- and post-investment expertise, and restorative capital they need to grow their businesses to help local economies thrive. PCV’s new Good Jobs Innovation Lab wraps around these teams using applied research, product design, and impact evaluation to design increasingly effective products and services for the communities we serve.
Why You’re Needed
We are looking for someone who is interested in social impact, data analysis, and writing about research findings for a community development organization like PCV working to close the racial wealth gap and create good jobs. We need help with qualitative and quantitative data analysis, communicating about research project priorities and milestones across various stakeholder groups, and building our data storytelling capabilities through interactive websites and slides to best share findings from our research with our small business clients, funders, and the broader community development field.
- Support the Good Jobs Innovation Lab in transforming its analysis from data to information for key internal decision makers and a broad external audience of clients, community partners, peer CDFIs, policymakers and funders.
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative analyses using PCV’s baseline and annual impact client data, as well as bringing in data from external sources for benchmarking PCV small business owner and worker outcomes.
- Create slides for communicating key research takeaways with clients, funders and the PCV network.
- Support the development of surveys and focus group discussion questions, as needed.
- Support coordination with small business owner, workers, and peer organizations and advisors around participation in Lab research projects and learning communities.
- Conduct desk research and synthesize findings to support the drafting of proposals and reports to funders and for external publication.
- Support periodic Lab webinars, including pre- and post-webinar communications and managing logistics during the webinar.
You’ll Thrive in This Role If
- You are a self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguity, asks thoughtful questions, and can translate unclear business requests into clear, actionable next steps.
- You have excellent writing and communication skills, and a knack for translating data insights to non-technical audiences.
- You have experience using a visualization tool (Tableau strongly preferred) to tell stories and inform decision making.
- You have a strong passion for mission-driven work. Experience performing data analytics in the non-profit or government sectors is a plus.
Interested candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States. To apply for this position, send a resume and cover letter to: HR@pcvmail.org by May 12, 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please include the title of “Intern, PCV Lab Summer” in the subject of your email.
We aim to be a diverse and inclusive place to work. We value new perspectives, original ideas, and different ways of working. We believe that diverse views and experiences improve the way we do our work. PCV is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran, or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.