Fall 2021 Intern, Impact Investing Research and Consulting
Position type: Part-time, remote
Reports to: Manager, Impact Investing Research and Consulting
Are you a driven individual who is passionate about building a more equitable society? If so, please join Pacific Community Ventures, a mission-driven organization invested in addressing racial and gender wealth gaps. We are seeking a Fall Intern for our Impact Investing Research and Consulting team. Over the past decade, our research projects and client engagements have helped define and build the field of impact investing. In addition, we have become a leading statewide community development financial institution (CDFI) in California and scaled a nationwide mentorship platform for underinvested small business owners. Our clients include leading foundations, other CDFIs, fund managers, pension funds, and policymakers doing groundbreaking work in impact investing. Our projects span a variety of fields including job quality, economic development, financial inclusion, healthy food access, affordable housing, and environmental finance. Many of our research projects are conducted in partnership with other leaders in the field, including the Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN), Impact Management Project (IMP), and the Aspen Institute.
Who We Are
PCV is a 22-year-old nonprofit CDFI that engages small businesses, impact investors, and policymakers to build an economy that works for everyone. Our approach is unique. PCV’s Small Business Lending and Advising teams connect entrepreneurs to the expertise and affordable capital they need to grow their businesses to help local economies thrive. We do this with a focus on helping them create good jobs that address racial and gender wealth gaps and contribute to community wealth-building.
Our impact investing research and consulting practice helps clients effectively deploy capital and manage investments in alignment with their financial and impact objectives. We work with (often new!) impact investors to build their capacity to achieve their desired financial returns and social impact through impact strategy development, impact measurement and management (IMM), evaluation, training, and research. Our work has influenced capital markets for decades and our clients have strengthened local economies, created tens of thousands of good jobs, and driven private and public investments in underserved communities.
Why You’re Needed
You will be a dedicated teammate with strong project management, analytical, research, and communication skills who is passionate about impact investing and is ready to contribute to client and research projects. You should welcome the opportunity and challenge to take growing ownership of key workstreams and deliverables over the course of the fall.
- Support the delivery of high-quality, timely projects that enable PCV and clients to more effectively measure and manage their impact, which could include:
- Designing survey instruments and methodologies for data collection from fund managers and portfolio companies
- Leading impact data collection and analysis for client projects
- Supporting the development of client deliverables, including PowerPoint presentations, memorandums, and reports
- Support the development of high-quality, timely research projects that help scale and improve the efficacy of the impact investing field and PCV’s Research and Consulting team, which could include:
- Conducting research through literature reviews and interviews with experts, academics, investors, and policymakers
- Supporting the development of publicly available reports and guides
- Support PCV’s cross-functional work on job quality which could include:
- Conducting research on job quality trends and best practices for small businesses
- Supporting the development of external and internal deliverables pertaining to PCV’s job quality work such as PowerPoint presentations and data analysis
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
We strive hard to be a diverse and inclusive place to work. We value new perspectives, original ideas, and different ways of working. We believe that diverse views and experiences improve the way we do our work. You should have a strong interest in and dedication to creating social and environmental benefit through impact investing. You should demonstrate a deep commitment to creating social and environmental benefit, under-invested people, and places, as well as strong analytical and communication skills that you are eager to apply to complex social problems. You should be enthusiastic, flexible, and willing to join a small and passionate team working on a myriad of projects across the impact investing space.
- Current candidate pursuing a Master’s degree
- At least one year of experience in an analytical or research role with prior consulting, investing, measurement, or evaluation experience preferred (including internships)
- Strong project management skills and ability to effectively prioritize work across multiple projects
- Proven excellence in quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Outstanding written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Flexibility and comfort with ambiguity
- Experience with sustainability and environmental, social, governance (ESG) data is a plus
- Flexibility and comfort with a mission-driven environment, and a small and growing organization
- Fast-learner, who demonstrates humility, openness, transparency, empathy, etc., as consistent with PCV values
- A demonstrated commitment to addressing and correcting for gender and racial wealth gaps
While our office is located by the 19th Street BART Station in Oakland, CA, this role can be performed remotely.
This is a paid part-time internship.
If you are interested, send a résumé and cover letter via e-mail to email@example.com with the words “Fall Intern, Impact Investing Research and Consulting” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Apply now.
PCV is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran, or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. We live our values of openness, transparency, coming from a place of yes, collaboration, and more; and believe that justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental to our success. We are especially interested in candidates who have direct experience with the communities we serve. For more information on Pacific Community Ventures, please visit www.pacificcommunityventures.org.