Internships With Pacific Community Ventures
Position Type: Internship; Remote (PCV is based in Oakland, CA)
Reports to: Good Jobs Innovation Lab (2 interns), Restorative Capital team (1 intern), CEO (1 intern)
Location: Applicants must be authorized to the work in the United States
Are you a driven individual who is passionate about building a more equitable society? If so, please intern with Pacific Community Ventures, a mission-driven organization invested in racial and economic justice. We are seeking a winter intern to work with our team. Over the past decade, our research projects and client engagements have helped define and build the field of impact investing. In addition, we have become a leading statewide community development financial institution (CDFI) in California, and scaled a nationwide mentorship platform for underinvested small business owners.
Who We Are
PCV is a 23-year-old 501(c)(3) nonprofit community investor that envisions a world of thriving communities where everyone has a fair shake. Our mission is to invest in addressing racial and gender wealth gaps, and build community wealth by investing in small businesses, help them create good jobs for working people, and make markets work for the common good. We achieve our mission through a “Good Jobs, Good Business” model that combines affordable loans with pro-bono advising, small grants, and tools and incentives to create dignified good jobs. Through September 2021, 84% of PCV’s loan capital has gone to women and/or BIPOC-owned businesses, and 85% has gone to small businesses located in economically distressed areas.
Why You’re Needed
You will be interested in learning, and contributing to the research and impact work of a community development organization like PCV – using analytical, research, and communication skills to contribute to client and research projects.
- Support PCV’s annual impact survey of lending and business advising clients that test and analyze our delivery of restorative capital, and good job creation
- Support the development of high-quality, timely research projects that help scale and improve the efficacy of the impact investing and CDFI fields with regards to good jobs outcomes and investing to close the racial wealth gap, including:
- Conducting research through literature reviews and interviews with experts, academics, investors, and policymakers
- Conduct public policy research on small business and community development legislation and guidance to ensure PCV’s priorities of centering civil rights within community finance policies. Write policy briefs as requested by CEO, draft op-eds with CEO and policy advisor
- Supporting the development of publicly available reports and guides
- Support PCV’s other cross-functional work on job quality which could include:
- Refresh most updated resources for PCV’s Good Jobs toolkit with latest federal and CA State programs that small business owners can access for their business and workers
- Conducting research on job quality trends and best practices for small businesses
- Supporting the development of external and internal deliverables pertaining to PCV’s job quality work such as PowerPoint presentations and data analysis
We strive hard to be a diverse and inclusive place to work. We value new perspectives, original ideas, and different ways of working. We believe that diverse views and experiences improve the way we do our work. You should have a strong interest in and dedication to creating social and environmental benefit through impact investing. You should demonstrate a deep commitment to creating social and environmental benefit, under-invested people and places, as well as strong analytical and communication skills that you are eager to apply to complex social problems. You should be enthusiastic, flexible, and willing to join a small and passionate team working on a myriad of projects across the impact investing space.
- Demonstrated qualitative and quantitative analysis skills
- Outstanding written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Flexibility and comfort with ambiguity
- Flexibility and comfort with a mission-driven environment, and a small and growing organization
- Fast-learner, who demonstrates humility, openness, transparency, empathy, etc., as consistent with PCV values
This is a remote opportunity
These are part-time, paid internships.
If you are interested, send a résumé and cover letter via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Internship” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Apply now.
PCV is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. We live our values of openness, transparency, coming from a place of yes, collaboration, and more; and believe that justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental to our success. We are especially interested in candidates who have direct experience with the communities we serve. For more information on Pacific Community Ventures, please visit www.pacificcommunityventures.org.