People & Culture Manager
Position type: Full-time; Oakland, CA (remote during COVID-19)
Reports to: Director of Finance & Operations
Are you a driven individual who is passionate about building a more equitable society? Are you a dedicated professional who believes deeply in building people-centered workplaces that empower workers? Would you be excited by the opportunity to bring your experience to advance our work as a mission-driven organization invested in addressing racial and gender wealth gaps? If so, please consider joining Pacific Community Ventures (PCV) as our People & Culture Manager. PCV is undergoing dynamic growth to better serve the people and communities core to our mission; this role will help PCV realize more of our potential and advance our commitment to Good Jobs as Good Business.
Who We Are
PCV is a 22-year-old nonprofit CDFI that engages small businesses, impact investors, and policymakers to build an economy that works for everyone. Our approach is unique. PCV’s Small Business Lending and Advising teams connect entrepreneurs to the pre- and post-investment expertise and restorative capital they need to grow their businesses to help local economies thrive. We do this with a focus on helping them create good jobs that address racial and gender wealth gaps, and build community wealth.
Why You’re Needed
This is a new role to PCV as we grow, and under the leadership of our new CEO. We seek an HR professional who centers what’s best for our people, and coaches them to help realize their full potential, and our mission. In this role, you will have an opportunity to apply the depth and breadth of your human resources knowledge and skills, and creativity, to evolve PCV’s people policies and practices, from recruitment to retention, and culture-building. You will also be a key player in advancing our Good Jobs Good Business efforts – internally, and be a Champion for it externally – with our small business owner community, and in recruiting more HR advisors to support them. You bring strong human resources knowledge, people, and communication skills (oral and written), as well as a commitment to racial and economic justice.
We want our team, leadership, and Board to reflect the communities we serve, and to build a culture that continues to actively live our values as we grow. We are deeply committed to Anti-Racism and you will help further enhance our policies and practices in this important work, building on the journey we’ve embarked on.
Enhance Organizational Culture
- Contribute to nourishing our values-driven and anti-racist culture that attracts and retains an exceptional workforce.
- Be a champion for PCV’s Good Jobs Good Business framework – in our own people practices and policies, as well as serve as a Champion with other HR leaders – to engage them as Advisors for our small business owners, and at companies we can influence.
- Support the development of strong managerial competencies in all staff with supervisory responsibilities.
- Coordinate and enhance PCV’s DEI and Professional Development internal programs, in partnership with the CEO, leadership, and DEI teams.
- Be instrumental in working alongside all staff and leaders to foster a culture of support, respect, belonging, and growth.
Recruit and Retain Exceptional Talent
- Partner with the executive and program leadership team members to develop the organization’s culture, and human resource strategy.
- Work with hiring managers to proactively determine staffing needs, develop job descriptions, and establish compensation.
- Support an equitable hiring process and ensure new staff are warmly welcomed, onboarded, and optimally set up for success.
- Manage a market-based pay plan by conducting periodic pay surveys; monitoring and scheduling individual pay actions; and recommending, planning, and implementing pay structure revisions.
- Develop and evolve our recruitment, retention, and employee engagement priorities and tactics; administration of employee compensation and benefits programs; and HRIS administration.
- Lead PCV’s quarterly and annual performance management and development activities.
- Manage employee benefits program by assessing benefit needs and trends; recommending benefit programs to leadership; obtaining and evaluating benefit bids; and conducting staff education programs around benefits.
- Own PCV’s Employee Handbook. Audit, propose, draft, and revise internal HR policies, procedures, and practices to ensure compliance, mitigate risk, and align with organizational objectives and values.
- Be a strong and supportive HR resource for team leaders on HR related issues.
- Maintain compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations.
- Support the ongoing improvement of our values-driven performance development system.
- Track, analyze, report, and improve HR related data.
- Effectively partner with outside HR consultants and attorneys as needed.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
We strive hard to be a diverse and inclusive place to work. We value new perspectives, original ideas, and different ways of working. You will bring a background of working with dynamic teams and projects, as well as excellent analytical and communications skills that you are eager to apply to complex social problems. You should demonstrate a deep commitment to creating social and environmental benefit, to under-invested people and places. You should be enthusiastic, flexible, and excited to join a passionate team.
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field, or equivalent training and experience
- Strong organizational and project management skills, and the ability to keep the bigger picture balanced with attention to detail across multiple priorities and deadlines
- Outstanding written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Experience building and promoting a values-based organizational culture of respect and belonging at all levels
- Flexibility and comfort with a mission-driven innovative environment, and a small and growing organization
- Fast-learner, who demonstrates humility, openness, transparency, empathy, etc., as consistent with PCV values
This position will be based at our headquarters in Oakland long-term, due to the coordination aspects of this role. However, during the COVID-19 pandemic this role will be mostly remote, with occasional office check-ins to support team operations. The role may involve occasional travel to other locations in California and around the United States in the future.
As an organization committed to creating good jobs, we walk the talk. We provide excellent benefits for full-time employees, including full health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement savings accounts with a generous match which is fully vested immediately, ample paid time off and holidays, as well as meaningful professional development opportunities.
Interested candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States. They should send a résumé and cover letter via e-mail to email@example.com with the words “People Culture Manager Application” in the subject line, by June 20th. Start at earliest convenience. No phone calls, please. Apply now.
PCV is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. We live our values of openness, transparency, coming from a place of yes, collaboration, and more; and believe that justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental to our success. We are especially interested in candidates who have direct experience with the communities we serve.