Make An Impact
Small businesses are the character of our communities. The bakery that makes your favorite cupcakes, the store that sells those one-of-a-kind-shirts and hats you love, your barbershop, comic book shop, coffee shop — anywhere you shop. That list goes on and on. Small businesses make your neighborhood, town, or city unique, but they’re also on the decline across America.
Small businesses with a mentor succeed at twice the national average. In fact, small businesses that work with a mentor through our award–winning BusinessAdvising.org platform grow their revenues by 20% on average, and create jobs for working people at ten times the national rate. As an advisor, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Use your unique skills and hard-earned business knowledge to help small business owners create new jobs in lower-income communities
- Serve as a mentor by working with a small business owner to discuss their challenges and give specialized advice and guidance to grow their business
- If you can, open your network to small business owners to empower them to strengthen local economies across America
Help a small business create new jobs for working people in their local communities. Don’t worry if you’ve never worked for or run your own small business. We’ll match you with the right small business based on what you can contribute. When small businesses thrive, our entire economy thrives.Sign up now >
What Makes A Good Mentor?
Share Your Skills And Create Real Community Impact
As a volunteer business mentor or advisor, you’ll be able to serve as a mentor by meeting with a small business owner to discuss their company’s challenges and give specialized advice and guidance to grow their business
You might be thinking, “Who has time to volunteer?” But the truth is, it only takes less than 5 hours a month to make a big difference in someone else’s life. Don’t worry if you’ve never worked for or run your own small business. We’ll match you with the right small business based on what you can contribute.
How It Works
Most Mentors Meet The Following Criteria
A Real Desire To Give back
- Functional expertise in an area such as: marketing, sales, finance, HR, manufacturing, operations, social media, and general ownership or business management
- Commitment to working with your matched small business owner for at least 5 hours per month.
- Willingness to participate in regularly sent partnership surveys and an annual evaluation about how we can improve the program.
- Located in the United States or Canada
- Volunteer advising can be done in person, or through email, phone, Facetime, Google Hangout, or Skype — whatever’s easiest for you!