Looking for more meaningful volunteering opportunities that not only use your skills, but use them to help small businesses create good jobs? Consider becoming a special advisor with our first Good Jobs, Good Business cohort.
America’s unemployment rate is at a half-century low. At the same time, we have a job-quality problem that affects nearly half the population and is only getting worse with continued pressure from automation, globalization, and rising wealth and income inequality. 44% of U.S. workers are employed in low-wage jobs that pay median annual wages of $18,000. You can play a part in helping to reverse that trend.
In the fall, Pacific Community Ventures announced Good Jobs, Good Business, a digital toolkit that equips small business owners with practical tools and resources to profitably create good jobs. We created this toolkit to remove the guesswork from the “how to” of creating good jobs through detailed advice, workbooks, and stories and advice from fellow business owners.
At the beginning of this year, we launched our first Good Jobs, Good Business advisor cohort as part of our partnership with fellow CDFIs in JPMorgan Chase’s Entrepreneurs of Color Fund in New York, Detroit, and here in the Bay Area.
The goal of this cohort is work with business owners of color across the country to help them grow, while also growing the quality of the jobs they’re creating in their communities. We also know that small business owners can’t do it alone: mentors like you provide guidance, advice, and tactics to help improve job quality based on your knowledge of the business. We’re looking for mentors to help us support these small businesses’ growth using Good Jobs, Good Business.
We’ll Work With You At Every Step
Our team will provide you with training around the Good Jobs, Good Business model, the various HR and operations topics that it covers, and give you resources and workbooks to help you guide your business owner mentee through it. For example, we’ll arm you with:
- Our Good Jobs, Good Business toolkit which provides tools, resources and advice to help small business owners achieve real short- and long-term cost savings by creating jobs that improve retention, employee performance and productivity
- Good Jobs Advisor Intranet: An online platform for advisors participating in Good Jobs partnerships with resources like presentations, videos, and readings
- A Good Jobs Slack Channel: An interactive forum for advisors participating in Good Jobs partnership to share learnings, seek advice, celebrate victories, and build community in an open chat format
- We’ll also give you resources to set up your work with your mentee such as a Good Jobs Goal-Setting Worksheet; a Good Jobs Partnership Guide; and PCV’s Business Advising Program Code of Conduct on what’s expected of business owners and advisors participating in business advising services
- Access to a community of HR professionals, entrepreneurs and other like-minded individuals invested in creating good jobs for working people
Learn More At An Upcoming Webinar
Please join us at one of our informational webinars in the coming weeks to find out how the program works, and why you’re needed. RSVP here:
We’ll update this page with additional webinar dates as they become available. If you can’t make one of these webinars, we can share the recording with you. You can email our team directly to find out more.